With the Colts' final roster being all but set with the final cuts and claiming of TE Jack Doyle this weekend, I figured that I would pen my varying thoughts on the final group.
It's Labor Day, so this will be succinct and to the point (don't hold me to that though).
Here is the roster, as it stands right now.
Quarterback (2) – Matt Hasselbeck, Andrew Luck
Running Back (4) – Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Brown, Stanley Havili
Wide Receiver (5) – Darrius Heyward-Bey, T.Y. Hilton, David Reed, Reggie Wayne, Griff Whalen
Tight End (4) – Dwayne Allen, Justice Cunningham, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle
Offensive Line (9) – Anthony Castonzo (T), Gosder Cherilus (T), Khaled Holmes (C/G), Jeff Linkenbach (T/G), Mike McGlynn (C/G), Joe Reitz (G/T), Samson Satele (C), Donald Thomas(G), Hugh Thornton (G)
Defensive Line (7) – Josh Chapman (NT), Ricky Jean Francois (T), Aubrayo Franklin (T), Montori Hughes (T), Ricardo Mathews (T), Fili Moala (E), Cory Redding (E)
Linebacker (9) – Pat Angerer (I), Kavell Conner (I), Jerrell Freeman (I), Mario Harvey (I), Robert Mathis (O), Caesar Rayford (O), Kelvin Sheppard (I), Erik Walden (O), Bjoern Werner (O)
Cornerback (5) – Darius Butler, Vontae Davis, Josh Gordy, Greg Toler, Cassius Vaughn
Safety (5) – Antoine Bethea, Sergio Brown, Delano Howell, LaRon Landry, Joe Lefeged
Punter (1) – Pat McAfee
Placekicker (1) – Adam Vinatieri
Long Snapper (1) – Matt Overton
- The release of Kerwynn Williams for Jack Doyle came out of nowhere. I get that the depth at tight end is non-existent, but the Colts needed a dependable vet if they were going to go that route. Cunningham is raw, and so is Doyle. Both need a lot of work and won't provide a solid replacement if one of the top two go down.
- Meanwhile, halfback only consists of three backs, two of which have significant injury history.
- The 2013 Colts: Where rolling the dice on injuries happens.
- Emmett Cleary to the injured reserve is a great move. There wasn't room for him on the final roster, but give him a year of working with coaches and trainers and he can contribute next season.
- The Colts are really thin at tackle. Joe Reitz and Jeff Linkenbach are the current backups, which doesn't inspire confidence in anybody. Meanwhile Ben Ijalana is flying to New York to join the Jets. We wish him the best, but fear for his sanity while playing for a not-so-slowly dying Rex Ryan.
- I know everybody likes Nevis. I like Nevis. I wish the Colts would have kept him. But don't sleep on Mathews. He had a very strong preseason, and is a better fit for the 3-4 with his length.
- The Colts should have kept Nevis, but at the expense of Montori Hughes, not Mathews. But there was no way Grigson and Co. were going to give up on a player they traded up to get so quickly.
- No trades happened with Kavell Conner, which I'm happy about.
- Another year, another chance that Cassius Vaughn and Josh Gordy are significant contributors. Pray that Davis and Toler stay healthy. Pray hard.
- Five safeties surprised me. All three depth guys will contribute on special teams.
- Caesar Rayford and Delano Howell are the surprise guys of the year. Great preseason performances by both propelled them to the final roster. Hats off to both of them.
- How did that Luck guy make the roster? Jaguar fans on Twitter keep saying he's overrated.
- Happy Labor Day everybody. Now go outside and grill meat.