After 9 years, I’m moving back to Indianapolis today.
Here are 18 reasons I’m glad to be going home.
18. Spending time with my family and friends. Can’t wait to see my nephews Clark and Harrison (yes, those are their real names).
17. Two words:
16. Weekends in Madison, Indiana, with side trips to see the Reds. My folks have a weekend place in Madison, which is a lovely town if you’ve never been. I consider the couch there the single most relaxing place on earth.
15. Hinkle. If you need me to explain this, then there’s something wrong with you.
14. The Luke. My two oldest will be going to their first games this pre-season. They are still to young to burn a regular season ticket on them, but preseason football was made for children. It’s two quarters long and home at the half. I can’t wait to bathe in the blue sea on game day. That sounded creepier than I meant it to.
13. Fall. I know it’s still summer, but I love the fall. Argentina doesn’t have nearly the spectacular fall that Indiana does.
12. My dog got there three weeks ago, and I miss him.
11. I desperately want to see Peyton Manning while I can. I’ve been in Indy for the following seasons of his career: 1998-2001, 2004, 2007. I only saw two games of his 2008 season (the first two losses at home to the Bears and Jaguars).
10. Public libraries. You have no idea how great they are until you live in a place that doesn’t have them. No one with access to one has any excuse to be ignorant or uneducated. They are one of the shining lights of our society, and one thing that still gives me hope for America.
9. Getting to meet so many 18to88 readers. We’ll be doing tweet-ups, book signings, and other get togethers, but if nothing else, you can always come by and see me in Section 616, row 8. If anyone wants to invite me to tailgate, I might not say no.
8. Who wouldn’t want to go back to the Circle City? It’s a city AND it’s a circle! The best of both worlds! I mean, seriously. Ok that’s lame. Let’s make this one “The State Fair”.
7. The Children’s Museum. When you have kids and live in a country like Argentina, you begin to appreciate how important it is to have a place to take them when you just have to get out of the house.
6. The Super Bowl is coming. It’s going to be the biggest week ever in Naptown, and the culmination of a lot of hard work and dreams by so many in the city. I feel like I’m in Meet Me in Saint Louis when they are talking about the World’s Fair.
5. My next book is coming out soon. With any luck, Invincible, Indiana will FINALLY be available for purchase in November. Blue Blood was a great learning experience, but I think Invincible is a special project. I can’t wait to share it with everyone.
4. Because there’s just something about Hoosiers. Indianapolis is the nicest city in the world. I’m always amazed at the way people treat each other in Indy.
3. Fast internet. Running 18to88.com takes so much longer with dicey internet. I can’t wait to get something blazing fast installed.
2. Root Beer. I freaking love root beer.
1. Because it’s home.