Stuff that occurred to me as I endured my first Lostless Thursday of the next 7 months:
- Watching those two teams play was like watching a Beatles cover band. They may look like the Celtics and Lakers, and they may even play pretty well. But it’s not the same, and it’s silly to act like it is. John got shot and the rest got old. Sort of sums up the NBA.
- Kobe Bryant is NOT Michael Jordan, and he’s not really even close. He can do some of the thing that Jordan did, but he is not the center of what is happening at all times. Maybe it’s just selective memory, but I don’t recall Jordan ever being so…invisible in a Game One.
- I feel like this is my chance to redeem myself. I rooted for the Lakers when I was a kid because I thought the name Magic was awesome. My first NBA memory is the 87 Playoffs. I got on this Celtics hating kick because my little league basketball team was named the Pistons. No one explained to me why a kid from Indiana should root for Boston. My dad was big into the Celtics (as was everyone), but I didn’t figure it out until it was too late. Now I’m past 30 and the Celts and Lakers are playing again, so I figure this time I can pull for the Celtics like I should have 20 years ago. Frankly, the fact that Kobe is a rapist makes it easy.
- Maybe it just didn’t show up on TV, but the lack of real passion and hatred between the teams made the whole thing feel flat. The players want to win in the general sense that everyone wants a ring. But they don’t really care who they are playing. They don’t care about beating LA or Boston any more than they would about beating any other team. The more clips ABC shows of the 80s just proves it. These teams don’t hate each other (Pierce and Kobe were joking playing up pickup this summer…barf), and it shows. This isn’t a rivalry, it’s a high school reunion.
- Still, the basketball was reasonably entertaining and there’s a 50/50 chance I’ll watch some on Sunday if I’m in the mood and there’s absolutely nothing else on. Argentina plays the USA in soccer, so I might try to catch that. The NBA: where apathy happens.
Kravitz points out that we’ve had 10 years of Manning. Here’s to 10 more. I would LOVE to know what crazy stuff Polian said to Manning’s agent during negotiations.
LUUUUUUKE Lawton got dealt for a conditional pick. Sweet move. He wasn’t going to make the club anyway, so anything is a plus.
Dusty plays baby sitter. Siiiigh.